Banana Baby Food for mantises

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny1st

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone's done this but I have a couple containers of Gerber banana baby food for my baby cresteds. Im wondering if I can feed a bit to a mantis? I also have peach but I think banana would be better... I mean its sAfe for babies... Why not a mantis?

You can try it, but I've only used honey as a treat myself. Are you doing this as a treat or as food? I ask as mantises are carnivores after all. ;)

Mantids eat other insects, you should probably stick to that.

Ive never fed any of my mantises anything other than insects and/or honey... But I've heard of people using babyfood before... Along with banana, yogurt, and some meat. Doubt id try it though...

Id do it for a treat. Not as the staple diet. Like one would do for honey or bananas. The bananas are why I thought the baby food would be a good treat every once in a while too

They like bananas. Precarious has a video on youtube showing his mantids eating some. That means it's fine. Give it a try!

I would stick to real organic bananas rather than processed bananas. They say a lot of things are safe for babies, like BPA was safe until the FDA was pushed to reevaluate.

ALSO, every one please be aware you should be feeding only raw unfiltered honey to your mantids. Most other forms of honey are so heavily processed they are reduced to something other than actual honey. What gets filtered out are the parts that are really beneficial, such as pollen, and heat treatment kills the beneficial enzymes. There are other counterfeit forms of honey sold that are essentially high fructose corn syrup with artificial colors and flavors added. Please get the real thing as that is the only kind that will actually benefit your pets. Yes, it's more expensive but spend the $7 and you'll have a lifetime supply if used only for your pets. ;)

Tests Show Most Store Honey Isn’t Honey

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/#.VQmDKI42SnM

Last edited by a moderator:
They like bananas. Precarious has a video on youtube showing his mantids eating some. That means it's fine. Give it a try!
Because they eat it doesn't necessarily mean it is fine.

And I agree with what Precarious said in regards to honey. Alternatively a person could get a single bee hive. We lost ours but I still have more honey than I know what to do with.

Because they eat it doesn't necessarily mean it is fine.

And I agree with what Precarious said in regards to honey. Alternatively a person could get a single bee hive. We lost ours but I still have more honey than I know what to do with.
Give me some. My ant colony is an avid honey consumer :p

I have some real organic honey from Indian bees... Or maybe it's african i don't remember

Edit not sure if you guys have it but at Trader Joes is where you can get it. They have a few other organic honeys

And I'll just stick to real bananas. Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts