Be gentle...and Hello!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Maribeth (obviously), and I am a newbe to mantids. I'm 30 years old, married and I have a 20 month old daughter. I'm a full time student, majoring in Biology with a minor in Anthropology, and I'm currently looking into grad schools. I took an invertebrate Zoology course this semester, and I'm loving it. We are required to do a culture project, where we pick an invertebrate, observe as much of its life cycle as possible, and then present to the class. I originally planned on getting rhino beetles, but they're illegal to import into my state, so I had to pick something else. I called around, and found a place that sold various insects. I went in, and picked out an Idolomantis diabolica. Yes, I am an idiot. I asked about its care and they gave me all the wrong information. I joined a group on Facebook to learn about my mantis, as I didn't really know where else to go. I only had the common name, and they really helped me to fix all the things that the shop told me that were wrong, i.e. temp, humidity, etc. I've had her for about a month now, (I think it's a her, but not 100%), and she just moulted into L5 tonight. I got her as an l3. I've fallen in love with mantids, and I now have 6; an idolo, 2 P. wahlbergii, an S. viridis green, an S. viridis blue morph, and an R. basalis. Needless to say, I am addicted. I culture my own blue bottles, D. heydii, and am starting to breed crickets. I'm in for life, now, and I can't wait to learn everything I can, and more. Thanks for reading!

Maribethasaurus

Hi Maribeth, welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you've taken an interesting direction with your studies, and mantids would definitely be your calling. I reckon with the knowledge you have, you'll be a valuable member of this community and I really hope you enjoy raising your mantids with your family as much as I have. I have only recently joined this forum myself, and it has really helped me with some issues I have had with my mantids, so hopefully you'll find this place very friendly and useful.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you go with them, and good luck!

Dean

Welcome to the addiction. I started with one now I have 32. This is definitely the place to be for information. Everyone here is helpful and friendly. Hope you enjoy it here ; )

Hello Maribeth and welcome to the forum
welcome2.gif

Sounds like you have a full load to keep you busy, a daughter, and 6 mantids - remember to have fun. ;) Best of luck with studies.

Welcome from Maine! I love your name. What names did you give your mantids?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi maribeth

Wish you the best in culturing your mantids as easy as you have with their food :)