bees ok for ghosts?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy4mantis

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had a hard time finding flying food for my ghost mantis. there are bees everywhere, so I was wondering if they are ok to feed. My flower took them easily, and all the native mantids eat them, but then again, flowers are MADE to eat bees! Ghosts are a lot more timid, so I was wondering if they could handle bees. Anyone know?!?!

ps. I heard somewhere that ghosts don't know how to catch bees.

pps. I lol-ed when I was rereading this and saw "flowers are made to eat bees"

You mean flower mantids right? I would feed them just honey bees and nothing like a wasp or a hard bee and they should be small enough.

Yeah sure they could eat them if they wanted to. Just remember to be careful and make sure its smaller than the mantis and to not put anything really dangerous in there like a wasp.

I would agree with happy1892 and say that honey bees only but really it's your choice just know the risks involved.

My adult females eat honey bees, they are gravid though. I try to keep this to a treat only, and besides, ghosts are Hymenopodidae (the family all flower mantids are in) if I remember correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
My adult females eat honey bees, they are gravid though. I try to keep this to a treat only, and besides, ghosts are Hymenopodidae (the order all flower mantids are in) if I remember correctly.
They are in the family Hymenopodidae but people do not call them a flower mantis. All of the flower mantids are in the family Hymenopodidae. People call these flower mantids.Acromantis formosana, Blepharopsis mendica, Chloroharpax modesta, Creobroter species, Hymenopus coronatus, Idolomantis diabolica, Pseudoharpax virescens and Theopropus elegans.

I think you may have them a bit mixed up. Hymenopodidae contains 'flower' mantids (many of the kinds you named) and kin (ghosts, a few smaller bark/leafy looking species). Idolomantis diabolica and Blepharopsis mendica are of the family Empusidae.

I think you may have them a bit mixed up. Hymenopodidae contains 'flower' mantids (many of the kinds you named) and kin (ghosts, a few smaller bark/leafy looking species). Idolomantis diabolica and Blepharopsis mendica are of the family Empusidae.
Oops I missed that! I was not very careful.

Oops I missed that! I was not very careful. Oh, I thought you said Ghost Mantids were a flower mantis.

Please do not feed honeybees to your mantids. Honeybees are having problems in many areas and are responsible for pollination of many food crops and other plants. Not to mention the bees you take may be from someones hive.

I have too MANY honeybees! I can't walk in my garden anymore!!!!!
Honeybees should not be a concern. They will no sting you unless you pick them up, step on them, or disturb their hive. There is no such thing as too many honeybees. I have a small backyard with two hives each containing at least 100,000 honeybees and I don't have any problems enjoying my garden or my yard. Honeybees are far more beneficial than mantids and with recent issues the honeybee species is in a serious decline which is bad news for all of us. It is in bad form to kill honeybees indiscriminately. Any person with knowledge of beneficial insects, pollination, etc should be able to easily understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not feed honeybees to your mantids. Honeybees are having problems in many areas and are responsible for pollination of many food crops and other plants. Not to mention the bees you take may be from someones hive.
But it is just a few bees. Do you think it is not alright?

But it is just a few bees. Do you think it is not alright?
Absolutely not. Feeding mantids full time with honeybees will amount to more than a few. Will it affect the hive they come from? Maybe not. But why kill off a truly beneficial insect when there other, better choices for feeding? I guess most people don't understand the issues facing honeybees right now. Being a beekeeper I can appreciate the issues faced by the bees which is the main reason I decided to get into keeping honeybees.

Absolutely not. Feeding mantids full time with honeybees will amount to more than a few. Will it affect the hive they come from? Maybe not. But why kill off a truly beneficial insect when there other, better choices for feeding? I guess most people don't understand the issues facing honeybees right now. Being a beekeeper I can appreciate the issues faced by the bees which is the main reason I decided to get into keeping honeybees.
How could a few make a difference? If there are many other good insects then I would feed them them then. I would love to keep honey bees (well I would love to keep just about any animal LOL!) and feed some to my mantids because they are very good for mantids.

How could a few make a difference? If there are many other good insects then I would feed them them then. I would love to keep honey bees (well I would love to keep just about any animal LOL!) and feed some to my mantids because they are very good for mantids.
I am not sure a few would make much of a difference. But feeding mantids honeybees often is going to be more than a few. Do a little research on colony collapse disease and honeybees and then decide for yourself. Honeybees are important to us humans and our crops. They are having problems currently. So why take an insect that is having enough problems already and killing them selfishly? We have been raising mantids on flies and other insects that are commercially available for many years, you don't have to use beneficial insects as feeders. Not sure how I can make it any more clear.

If honeybees weren't in a decline, I would say do it. However, their numbers are dropping, and if all the bees died that would definitely lead to starvation. I know a few bees will cause nothing major, but we shouldn't encourage killing bees.

I just realized that was completely off-topic and overly dramatic. Oh well.

Latest posts