beginner advice: low vs high land

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JADzilla

Reaction score
I've been interested in carnivorous plants for years actually and I want to venture into growing Nepenthes along side my orchids.

my question is what land and plants would you guys recommend to start with. I live in Southern California, Long Beach. I'm hoping to grow them as window sill and not in a terrarium.

i asked yahoo answers few months ago, someone replied with a High Land with Ventricosa and Judith Finns. does that sound good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Plants and I don't get along. No advice, but nice to see you're from this Long Beach. I have Chinese mantises presently and am expanding. Let me know if you are looking for anything. I drive through Long Beach almost daily. I am also a veteran and use the VA in Long Beach.

Hey Jad,

Yes, those two will do nicely. As well as N. sanguinea, N x 'Miranda' (if you have room - he a big one. Yes, he. Sterile, but worth growing if you have space), N. ventricosa x truncata is also large, but easy.... That should get you started!

Nepenthes alata x ventricosa is comonly sold in nurseries, and can be grown out doors. Very easy and grows bog!

Grow N. maxima. It will do great in your window next to your orchids. I live in so cal, so our conditions are likely pretty similar. I also have N. gothica growing well in a window.

My best 2 are n. miranda and n. ventricosa x alata. N. ventricosa is harder to find, but very easy. Most intermediates (between low and high) are easy. Out of low and highland, high is DEFINITELY easier, but avoid ultra highland. They are VERY hard. Too bad they are the coolest looking. :D

ventricosa x alata is easy, as is Miranda for sure, but here in SOCAL, especially near the beach, Ive found that Maxima outgrows them all. All the maxima hybrids like Gothica grow faster and pitcher better than ventrata (ventricosa x alata) or Miranda.

Besides, the pitchers on the maxima group are way more impressive. Cooler peristomes, and huge pitchers

those two were based on my experience. I've never had any maxima hybrids. I have one that I thought was maxima, but its growing so slowly I'm beginning to think its a highland truncata. :lol:

miranda and ventrata are by far the two easiest all around nepenthes ever. thats why they show up at home depot and lowes.

Learning about species requirements will better allow you to determine what species are best for you in your own climate.

REAL lowland plants like hot muggy nights, with minimal temp drop. That means none for me in SO CAL where the day/night difference is high

REAL highland plants dont care about daytime highs, as long as night temps have a 15+ degree drop with a humidity spike

REAL ultrahighland plants are more picky about daytime highs over say, 85 and REALLY REALLY picky about the night time temps and humidity

Most windowsill suitable plants are actually intermediate/highland plants that do just fine wherever as long as theres enough light and humidity

Grow N. maxima. It will do great in your window next to your orchids. I live in so cal, so our conditions are likely pretty similar. I also have N. gothica growing well in a window.
i always wanted a maxima, i fear i may not have space for them though.

i live in so cal also have you tried growing any of yours year round outside? i'm debating to try it to see if it would work. esp Miranda and Deroose hybrids. since we never really get to many lows below 50s in Winter.

Latest posts