Best way to release adult male chinese mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zemata

Reaction score
Hey all. I have two mantids from the same ooth. They've been adults for about three weeks now. I've been wanting to try getting them to mate soon and releasing the male afterwards because he doesn't seem to eat properly. I've fed them both on storebought crickets with no problems sice they were big enough to handle them. Upon becoming adults, the female still actively stalks her food across the tank but the male will not strike or eat any crickets, even incapacitaded ones with honey on them. The best I could think of is trying that every other day and when he refuses I just feed him honey. He still seems very active despite not eating, I've even let him fly in my room. Do the males just hardly eat or something? I even had a theory that the female is releasing pheremones that have him excited so he won't eat, so I seperated their tanks and placed them at opposite ends of the room. No help.

That's why I'd like to release him as soon as his job is done, hoping he'll fare better outside, but that brings me to my other query. What is a good location to release a mantis? I want to put him out somewhere safe where no birds or animals will attack him. Thoughts?

Males don't eat too much. There is no way you will be able to keep him from predators once you release him. And he may not stay where you put him. If you know a place where mantids are already located release there. If not find an overgrown lot, meadow, or some other weedy place with lots of insects.

He'll probably become food for some predator if released outside. Just release him in the female's enclosure and it will have the same outcome, but you may get the female mated another time and he will be good nourishment for the female and her eggs.

My second female Chinese just reached adulthood and they are hungry for men (and would prefer a stranger to a wild caught brother). I could take that stud off your hands for you and try my hand at the mating game. Do you think you would ship him out to me in Boston? (I'd pay for him and shipping).

What others say that males won't eat often is true. But, how large are the crickets you are feeding him? Try feeding him something smaller, like a fly (as big as it's head), and let us know.

Latest posts