Big questions out to everyone!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatsnotbombs

Reaction score
I'm a bit a new to the hobby, so I'd like to start a discussion.

Many of you have more than likely been at this for a good time now, and racked up some great experience.

A while back, the mantis hobby was not as popular as it is now.

Because of that:

1. How has he hobby changed?

2. What may have lead up to these changes?

3. Is there anything different in this new "modern" hobby that is no longer present from when you first started/ awhile back?

Extremely interested, thanks!

can't wait for some diverse responses.

The shipping cost was much lower back in the day. I was looking at other feedback looking for a FF supplier and some of the older feedback talked about shipping cost. it was about half as much as it is now.

i have noticed something odd

beginners at the hobby are taking on more challenging species, such as meagenelise9 with her b.mendica (she's been on the forum for a few months, i started rearing in 2006, i just got mendicas like 2 months ago) and chivalry with her idolo

i'm sure the internet makes this possible (i joined the forum in 2008 and kept little more than tenodera beforehand)

just a thought :)

The big thing I've noticed is there seems to be far more in culture in the United States when it comes to exotics. So much more to choose from and it is a lot easier to find someone with whatever species has caught your eye.

I have only been keeping mantids for about a year, and that was by accedent!

I was on a venus flytrap forum, and someone asked if they could put a plant in their

terrarium with their praying mantis.

I googled "praying mantis for sale" and the rest is history!!

Think it's best to do your homework when deciding on a particular species to keep and

find out if you can meet those requirements (or willing to stick with it).

As hinted above, people just have a tendency to buy just because someting is rare and

expensive so they can say they have one, but have little or no experience!! ;)

If it were not for the internet, this forum, Mantispets and Mantisplace, I would very likely

not own a single mantis.

I have loved and been amazed by them since childhood, and used to play with them in my

yard.

Never would have dreamed I would one day own several dozen!!

i have noticed something odd

beginners at the hobby are taking on more challenging species, such as meagenelise9 with her b.mendica (she's been on the forum for a few months, i started rearing in 2006, i just got mendicas like 2 months ago) and chivalry with her idolo

i'm sure the internet makes this possible (i joined the forum in 2008 and kept little more than tenodera beforehand)

just a thought :)
Well, I'd prob have waited a while before taking them on but he was a surprise :)

But yes, without the interwubs I'd be at a total loss as to how to take care of them, and I would only have T sinensis. And that only maybe.