Bites

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can and will. Some sp. more than others. Some big sp. really hurt!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not so sure ?!!! I think we need some volonteers (Sue for example)... let begin with a kind species...Adult female Clinia humeralis for example... I promiss I'll make a test with odontomantis (new born)

Please to film it for scientist interest !!!

I'm not so sure ?!!! I think we need some volonteers (Sue for example)... let begin with a kind species...Adult female Clinia humeralis for example... I promiss I'll make a test with odontomantis (new born)

Please to film it for scientist interest !!!
Lol

did it hurt? leave a hole etc etc

do they go voluntarily let go or did you have to force it loose

Last edited by a moderator:
Only been bit once, by a large Chinese adult female, she grabbed my finger with both raptors clamped down and took a quick bite, didn't hurt so bad as it just scared/startled the ba-jeebers out of me for a quick second, but I did manage to not fling her across the room. :D

me too lol... Cilnia bite ;)

that was the first time I feel reel pain

usually I feel funny when mantid try to eat me... but for sure they can eat a few if you leave them times... lol

If it should happen to you just touch their claws with the free hand and it should let go. Yeah, my first gut feeling was to yank my hand back in a flinging motion but I didn't, just reached in with the other hand and swore at her a bit. :D

Lol

Been bit by a blue flash, left a little pink dot, felt closer to a burn, no blood though

Been nibbled on by a budwing on numerous occasions. usually mantis will crouch down and nibble on you in search of water, in this case just spray em again, right between the raptors lol.

I had a mantis start to "drink" on me which quickly turned into it biting me. Male adult European. Didn't hurt much but it was startling. Which is why I only let little L1s and L2s drink on my hand from now on.

I've been pinched a few times but only bitten one time. But I don't handle the big gals (Rhombodera) very often. The mantis that bit me was a female wahlbergii. It was towards the end of her life. I was trying to help her. We were buds before that, but her personality changed in the end. It hurt for a few seconds and there was a small trickle of blood.

I used to get my adult female Chinese to claw me. It would leave those little white scratch marks. A skittish just-molted male limbata clawed me and held on for a brief second. I've had an unknown start actually eating my finger, but she was really hungry/thirsty. And those are the major events of my bite log

No ouchy bites but I have gotten a few prickly pricks from claws with my older mantises. When they get up their in age and have a harder time getting around, especially the fat females, they start using their claws like ice picks to help pull themselves up. :wheelchair: