Blackened eye

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve4king

Reaction score
My female orchid mantis' right eye has turned black a few weeks ago. Initially it was just the top milimeter, now everything but the bottom milimeter is black. My camera phone can't seem to focus on the mantis, so I can't post any useful photos right now.

Yesterday I saw her pulling at it, like she was trying to remove it.

She's not as aggressive as the male when feeding, and will occasionally let the flys walk on top of her. She's definitely not overfed.

Also, she doesn't move around much anymore. She sat on the bottom of her little terrarium for a couple of days even though she can climb the sides without any difficulty.

Is she doomed even before she fully matures?(she's i6 or i7 I think)

What is the blackness and how can I prevent it in the future?

-Stephen

It sounds like that "rot" that seems pretty common with those. I had it happen to orchids a few times. Far as I know there isn't much you can do. Nobody really knows what it is or how to really prevent it. It tends to spread and kill the animal though.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's been countless posts on mantis rubbing the sides of there enclosure with there face, and it making one or both of the eye's darken, they seemed to live out life to old age regardless but with some sight problems. You can look under "health issues" to read up on it.

Sounds more like the rot Rick brings up than eye rubbing. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do at this point. If the rot begins on a limb the best course is to snip it off before it spreads. I just had to do this when it developed on the tip of an adult female's raptor. This was not an option in your case. I suspect you will see it spread until it finally kills her. Sorry.

Latest posts