Bleph Gender

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruaumoko

Reaction score
Howdy,I've got a few Blephs and need some help in sexing them.every picture is a different mantis so 7 total :)

Thanks in advance

5284d6d0-3697-6ddb.jpg

5284d6d0-36a6-cc18.jpg

5284d6d0-36b4-2d0b.jpg

5284d6d0-36c1-7a81.jpg

5284d6d0-36cc-a132.jpg

5284d6d0-36db-65f3.jpg

5284d6d0-36e8-05ca.jpg

So yeah,all seven of them there :) apologies for the naff pictures haha

The pics are inconclusive as to the sexing. Last night I studies this matter with my pre-sub Pseudocreobotra walhlbergii, which are very similar in morphology to the B. mendica. What you need to look at is the last segment area of the abdomen. If there is a wide segment at the end and no additional dorsal spiney projection, then the genitalia, it is a female. With the male there is one additional spiney projection after the wide area of the abdomen start to taper to a point. If there was a clear dorsal view picture, there is an easy identification forthcoming. Perhaps one might compare the antennae, but I think that is not a fool proof method as it is with Gongies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just from these not very clear pics, I would venture to say that there are two females and one male that show what I am saying.

Just from these not very clear pics, I would venture to say that there are two females and one male that show what I am saying.
Cheers,have tried to sex using the method you mentioned,just wanted to try and clear it up.unfortunately can't afford a proper camera at the moment so am using my IPhone one which has very limited focus up close lol

Perhaps I can make a sketch of the rear view of the Mantid and post it. It is really clear to see once you know what to look for. Tammy Wolfe says that B. mendicas are easier than the P. wahlbergii and she says she has not been wrong yet. I am sure that the antennae method can work. Look for the males to have an antenna with a fatter base then the males so that it tapers from thicker to thinner as you go to the tip. The females have no taper. Try that.

Based on normal sex distribution ratios, anyone might guess that you have four of seven of one gender or the others. Unfortunately lately by the time the nymphs of a given hatch reach L-4 to L-5, there has been some die off and one sex might be more hardy than the other in the die off. Therefore in my case, last night I determined that of the six pre-sub Wallies that I am raising, there are four males and two females. I still maintain that to be accurate in the sex determination you need to get the mantids all together and look at them with magnification and closely compare the last abdominal segments. It will become crystal clear as the which fall into the category of having the wide last segements and therefore female and which have the extra segment(s) and therefore they are male. Use the link posted above to guide you.

Thanks for the help guys. I'd gotten to 4females and 3males but not completely sure. The last spike on the abdomen works well and when you compare them together you can begin to see the feathery ones I think.

There are a lot of top breeders in various countries that need help on the matter of gender differentiation from time to time. I did not intend to offend anyone by my posting to his request for help.

There are a lot of top breeders in various countries that need help on the matter of gender differentiation from time to time. I did not intend to offend anyone by my posting to his request for help.
None taken :)

And I certainly wouldn't call myself a top breeder hehe,I've just got lucky on a few occasions lol