Broken leg during molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct.pro

Reaction score
So I've been keeping a mantis each summer for the last few years. The regular find one outside, yoink it, raise it, let it go when it reaches adulthood to go make baby mantis's thing.

This year, I've encountered something new though.

The mantis, I believe its a female chinese if that helps, fell during molting and broke one of its hind legs. The leg has a kind of zig-zag thing going on now and she holds it up over her back like a scorpion tail or off to the side usually. Its been a couple days, and she's feeding OK, took some moths and a large cricket so far and is getting nice and fat. She's got at least two molts left in her, I think because there are no wingbuds yet.

I'm going to be honest, I'm kind of pissed off about it. I made new enclosure with much better perches and than the old cricket keeper I usually keep them in, and instead of using any of them she decided to molt hanging from the plastic in the one spot I missed while sandpapering.

So my question: is there anything I can do to help the healing during the next molt? I'm concerned that due to the zig-zag the leg is going to get hung up when she tries to pull it free either causing another fall or exasperating the injury. This is my first time with this sort of injury so I have no idea what to expect.

I can get pics if anybody thinks they'd be useful

TLDR: Fell during molting, broke one (1) hind leg a ~milimeter after the knee(?) joint. Could use advice as to wether the issue will self resolve or if there is anything I need to do.

Figured I'd post an update for the heck of it.

She molted again a bit ago, and it went smoothly. The leg is still unsteady, and she is favoring the other side heavily but its moveable and usable.

She still has another molt to go at least before adulthood so it should hopefully resolve itself fine in another cycle or so.

Latest posts