Bugfest 2010 *PICS ADDED*

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Each year the North Carolina museum of natural sciences puts on the Bugfest event. This will be the fourth year that I have brought a mantis booth to the show. Prior to that they never had one. The mantis table was originally the idea of Perry (padkison) who unexpectedly passed away a couple years ago. I made arrangements to continue having the mantis booth at the show.

This is a large event that attacts thousands of people. We can only bring U.S. mantids to the show though. As always, I am asking for mantis donations from anyone who would like to help out. This year I am looking for ground mantids and european mantids. I think we have everything else covered. Andrew (ABbuggin) has indicated that he will assist me again this year since he is local. We have another mantidforum member from NY dropping by as well.

If you're anywhere near Raleigh, NC on Sept. 11 please feel free to drop by the museum and attend this event. We will be on the second floor this year. Also, if you have any ideas for our booth please let me hear them.

For more information please see the offical Bugfest website: http://bugfest.org/

Forgot to mention. If anyone has any old, hatched ooths they no longer need please let me know what you have so I can see if it is needed for the display. Thanks.

Rick, I'm truly sorry. I would've loved to send you some ground mantids for Bug Fest. Unfortunately, the three that I have are one nymph, one adult male and one adult female. And I desperately need that pair to get some more ooths as I failed miserably with the first batch of nymphs. Again, I apologize.

Rick, I'm truly sorry. I would've loved to send you some ground mantids for Bug Fest. Unfortunately, the three that I have are one nymph, one adult male and one adult female. And I desperately need that pair to get some more ooths as I failed miserably with the first batch of nymphs. Again, I apologize.
No problem. We had one last year, but I don't count on having on every year. But, if you see one scoop it up.

is this like the reptile show in manchester nh? do you get to buy or just look at?
No. This is a huge insect festival in Raleigh, NC. No buying going on. Lots of booths with different displays and info on insects and other small critters. They have things like a guy with a beard of bees, cooked bugs you can eat, etc.

Two days away! Again, if you're in the area please drop by. We have two out of state members that are going to be dropping by/assisting with the booth. I will be sure to post some pics up either Sat night or Sunday.

Rick

I could donate a MIO MANTIS if thats acceptable

pm your address again if it will help

Royz

Why only native U.S. species? Does that have to do with state and/or federal regulations or is it some other reason?

Rick

I could donate a MIO MANTIS if thats acceptable

pm your address again if it will help

Royz
Thanks for the offer, however we can only have U.S. mantids. The museum doesn't possess the correct permits or something. Or maybe it was because those do not extend to volunteers. I don't recall which, but I ask every year if I can bring something non native and get told the same story each year. Maybe someday. Someone at USDA said I could apply for a permit that would allow me to display any mantids, but I figured best not to invite "the man" into my life.

Wow what a busy day! It was much busier than the last few years. At times our table was jammed. My camera wasn't doing too well in the lighting but we got some decent pics. Nickyp0 and ismart (Paul) came by. Nick helped at the table all day as well. It was great to meet both of these members. ABbuggin (Andrew) helped at the table again this year as well. The shirts were ugly this year though. This blue is not my color!

P9110002.jpg

P9110003.jpg

P9110004.jpg

P9110005.jpg

P9110006.jpg

P9110007.jpg

Also want to those those who contributed to the show. Thanks!

Wow! Due to the forum errors, I just noticed these last 2 posts. :rolleyes: I like the mounted displays and the containers. :) The shirts were not that bad. :lol:

Latest posts