Burnneria borealis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giosan

Reaction score
bborealis1.jpg

bborealis2.jpg

bborealis3.jpg

bborealis4.jpg

bborealis5.jpg

bborealis12.jpg

bborealis7.jpg

bborealis8.jpg

bborealis9.jpg

bborealis10.jpg

isn't she cute?

PS: it is ofcourse Brunneria and not Burnneria. For some reason i cannot change the topic title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are the best photos of a grass mantis i have ever seen, now, can you send me some :D

Thanks! ;)

I don't know what instar she is to be honest... but she is 6cm/2,5inch long. Will need 3 molts till adulthood i'm guessing!

Thanks! ;) I don't know what instar she is to be honest... but she is 6cm/2,5inch long. Will need 3 molts till adulthood i'm guessing!
Cool - I might have another stick-like species available soon, maybe we could swap some ooths :p

Kruszakus: yes, sounds good! :D

Spawn: they're about 6cm/2,5inch long and i feed them flies. (curly flies) On the picture you see a fruitflie, it's a bit small but i just needed it for the photo! :p

And i keep them warm, above 25 degrees.

My nymphs are having some mortality right now. Alive for three to four days, and then die after having a fruit fly or two. I replaced the lids of the containers so they're the aerated ones that come on the 32 oz. FF culture cups, as the only thing I could attribute it to was poor ventilation. What humidity do you keep yours at? My room is around 77 degrees Fahrenheit right now and 85% humidity.

ABbuggin: haha thanks I hope so too :D

Spawn: Oh sucks... I don't keep the humidity very high actually, around 50 or when i spray 60%. I do have a lot of ventilation yes! One whole 'wall' of the house they're in is completely mesh.

You can try to put the nymphs warmer than 77 degrees Fahrenheit/25 degrees Celcius. The younger they are the warmer they should be! I would suggest above 86 degrees Fahrenheit/30 degrees Celsius.

Hope something works! :eek:

Thanks. I just had another nymph pop out last night, so this ooth for me fortunately is giving me several chances to get it right.

ABbuggin: haha thanks I hope so too :D Spawn: Oh sucks... I don't keep the humidity very high actually, around 50 or when i spray 60%. I do have a lot of ventilation yes! One whole 'wall' of the house they're in is completely mesh.

You can try to put the nymphs warmer than 77 degrees Fahrenheit/25 degrees Celcius. The younger they are the warmer they should be! I would suggest above 86 degrees Fahrenheit/30 degrees Celsius.

Hope something works! :eek:
Yes, hot and somewhat dry in the key to success with this species. :) Now, hatching the ooths is a different story. <_<

And another one died today. I don't freaking understand it. I don't know if it's the small spiders outside the containers coming into the cups from the air holes and biting them or what, but this is ridiculous. I'd have 12 or so hatched so far, but I'm down to 7 with the deaths.

I kept the ooth at room temperature since I got it from Rick. In a container, and misted it a couple times a week (not the ooth directly). The first nymph actually popped out the end that tapers, the end that you would see come last out of the mantid's butt-end. I expected them to come out the top/front like normal, but so far they are coming out of that back end of the ooth.

Update: I'm down to 4 nymphs, one at L2. I've noticed now that there is cannibalism. Well apparently I'm pretty slow. Today was the smoking gun when I found the L2 nymph with an outrageously oversized thorax and a missing nymph in its cup. I don't get it. I stuck a bunch of D. melos in there yesterday, but they didn't want them. I guess they'd rather feed on each other.

GIOSAN,

I'm jealous now !!!!

Not about the brunneria, but about your photo material !!!

;o))

ps : your two babies are feeling good

Latest posts