cage carpet

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Mantis

Reaction score
I recently found an item called Cage Carpet at the local Petsmart. It is a terrarium carpet liner for reptiles. I wanted to know if this would be okay to keep at the bottom of my mantis cage for padding. If it is not, what should I use?

Thank You

I recommend a substrate that can hold some moisture as a lot of species need some humidity.

I recommend a substrate that can hold some moisture as a lot of species need some humidity.
Correct, but reptile carpet is okay to use. A long time ago I used reptile carpet for my praying mantids. They seemed fine... nothing bad happened to them. Just to be safer, I would use substrate that holds in moisture. Some praying mantis species need humidity. Potting soil is good substrate to use for your praying mantis.

Well sure you can use it. It might work well for mantids that don't need a lot of humidity. I personally use moist sphagnum moss. For mantids from arid areas I use nothing.

Yup, like Rick i either use the moss, or Eco-earth (compressed coconut fibre). Both do the job well for humidity loving species.

Dave

Hi Shadow. It depends what kind of sand, but obviously if it's non toxic then pretty much anything is fine to use. Moss and fibre can be found in most pet shops that sell herps of any kind, lizards particularly and amphibians, and these would probably be the better option if possible.

Dave

I prefer the 'natural' look - moss etc, but it seems a waste at the lower instar levels... Also, as an added bonus, if you have a miniature ecosystem going, you don't really need to worry about the frass!

I just looked up that carpet stuff, how easy is that to clean? I know it says it's washable but don't think i'd like to put it in with my clothes :?

It is a bit hard to clean. You must soak it in water for twenty minutes mixed with a certain type of reptile furniture cleaner and let it air dry.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to buy the moss for my mantis tomorrow.

I think it wouldn't be a problem no matter how much you put in... mantids hunt by movement- also i guess it depends on the "food" size...

lol, I like how they're no longer crickets or fruit flies but "food"... bet that makes them feel better :)

Latest posts