Can I put hydrogen peroxide on black eye?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I believe that my baby has fungus in his eye. It was suggested to me to try hydrogen peroxide. I'm afraid that it will hurt him worse, but I don't want to loose him. He is not eating.

Hydrogen peroxide is used as a last resort for anything because it kills good tissue as well as bad tissue. I wouldn't suggest using it, hopefully when it molts it'll get rid of it.

I've heard honey has antifungal properties? At least honey wouldn't hurt the mantis if it didn't work, he'd just get a nice sweet treat! lol

I wouldn't try hydrogen peroxide. I'm pretty sure it will be super hard to apply and if the mantis accidentally drinks some of it... i wouldn't think that's too healthy.

Is it just one eye or both eyes? Sometimes they eyes turn black when it's really dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the support! I didn't put hydrogen peroxide on him.

I put him outside a couple nights in the 100 degree weather. I figured the dry heat would kill fungus. It looks dried up now and he is eating again. He will be adult if he makes the next molt. The problem is that one eye is completely obliterated and the other has a small black spot inside his eye. His eyes will never recover, but at least for now he is fat and happy again!