Can someone help me understand why my Peruvian Leaf Mantis died?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSamuraiCop

Reaction score
Rosie died this morning, and I was taken aback. I woke to her on the ground, barely moving, with her kind legs immobile. The day prior she was very still on a low branch (that worried me) like she was going to molt (she didn't), and the day prior to that she was very spritely and eating.

Humidity was fine, enclosure had space to molt, and temps were in the normal range. She seemed very energetic and healthy.

The only thing I can think of is the food I've given her the past few weeks. I had black soldier fly larvae I was trying out with her, as my local supply of fruit flies has turned out to be a major dissapointment, and she was about L6 so she could definitely handle the size. Once they turned to flies, I gave her one, she ate it no problem. But it can't be a coincidence that this is when the health problems started. They are a bit longer than blue bottles but not huge? And she was pretty aggressive usually. Not very shy of slightly larger prey.

Anyway, had to put in the freezer so she wouldn't suffer. Just trying to understand so it doesn't happen again. What do you think?

It could have been the food, or it might have been something else. It just happens sometimes.

I lost around 5 mantis in one week. It was either down to the crickets they were eating or the fact workers were spraying weed killer days before they all died. Whatever it was, it only affected my S lineolas. All my other species were in the same area so would have came into contact with any chemicals if any, and were eating the same crickets but were all fine, 

Couple of times well grown nymphs I had suffered sudden death. Never even took sick one minute fine, the next gone. 

Without labarotory testing we will not know for sure why our bugs sometimes decide to keel over. So prevention isnt possible if we dont know the cause.

All you can do is keep their enclosures clean which is simple enough, trying to keep their food clean is a wee bit harder as you cant see if harmful bacteria is growing on it.