Can you breed mantids from same ooth ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Rick said mantids can mate from siblings of the same ooth, I've breed some like that myself. The only problem might be getting the males to stay alive long enough to mate with the females, as the males tend to molt faster (but that usually isn't a problem).

Inbreeding issues caused from breeding mantid siblings seems to be controversial on the forum (Inbreeding is always taboo, insects or not to most people); however, even those that think problems crop up with mantids tend to say it is many generations into inbreeding.

One example I have read is by the third generation, Orchid mantids start to have problems -- I found though the original member being re-quoted says the opposite here. That tends to be the way it is for this topic, conflicting information. If you are interested in reading about the issue, here is a interesting thread to read. Doing a quick search will provide many more topics on the issue as well.

Latest posts