Can you identify this chap?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Hello all

We we up in northern Uganda in the Murchison Falls area when I came across this fella. Thought it could belong in dead leaf of devils flower species but search as I may can't quite find anything like it. (Most likely Deroplatus) The locals say that it was very rare to see. Does any one know exactly which species it may be.

I hope the files are not too big. I have the original Canon raw files with all the detail, got plenty more pics too.

Sandy

MFM001.jpg

MFM002.jpg

MFM003.jpg

MFM004.jpg

Thanks Guys. I see in Wiki that the are pretty rare. I rescued this fella and put him on a nearby shrub and he almost dissappeared his camo was so good.

I think I was lucky to have seen him! :D

Found him in an outside corridor after a night's feeding on bugs around the floor lights. I wanted to post some more pics of him in the shrub but don't know how to delete others to make space. Help anyone?

you can only upload a certain amount directly to the site. If you use a free uploading site (I use photobucket) you put them there then post them here from the other website. Check the sticky under 'mantid photos' section about how to upload photos. This helped me!

I did, it tells you that you will run out of space and that you have to delete some images but I can't find out how to delete. :mad:

Very green shield on that Idolo. Never saw that before. May be regional trait.

Thanks for sharing!

WOW...would love to see one in natural habitat and a male at that...Thats awesome you rescued him! DEF very very old though...looks like hes even having trouble supporting himself....

No, I think the clay tiles were very slippery for him to get a grip on. I'll try to post some more pics using method #2 this weekend of him in the tree/shrub. He moved off quite well with his shaky leaf motion once in the tree.