Can you identify this Mexican mantid?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_in_Mexico

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

This Sunday morning I awoke with this mantid on my screenwire window beneath a night-burning security lamp here in the arid Mexican state of Querétaro in the Eastern Sierra Madre Mountains of northeastern Mexico:

070302ma.jpg

I think it's a Unicorn Mantis, very close to Pseudovates arizonae, but with no markings on the wings.

If you have an idea drop me a note at [email protected]

Thanks so much.

Jim

NIce find Jim, appears to be a Phyllovates sp. It looks like (Texas/Mexican unicorn mantis) Phyllovates Chlorophaea, which also exists in South Texas near Mexico border.

Ian, as far as I know, the difference is on the lobes, Phyllovates has less protruding lobes but rather an extended "web" like fin on the legs, whereas Pseudovates has visible lobes (like dead leaf mantis), and Vates sp will have even larger lobes and very visible (like ghost mantis). Believed they all belong to Vatinae group.

Jim, there is a similar topic on this species you may want to take a look.

http://www.mantidforum.com/forum/viewtopic...16&start=45

It's been a pleasure watching this discussion take place and I appreciate very much everyone's interest, and the name suggestions.

Until now I've had no particular interest in mantids but you can bet that I'll start paying more attention to them. We have many habitats here, from hot semidesert to high-elevation cloudforest, so I should be able to find some more goodies for you (and me).

Thanks again,

Jim

(at Sierra Gorda Biosphere Reserve, HQ'd in Jalpan, Querétaro, Mexico)

Hi.

Yen Saw was right. This is a male of Phyllovates chlorophaea.

Best wishes,

Christian

Ian, as far as I know, the difference is on the lobes, Phyllovates has less protruding lobes but rather an extended "web" like fin on the legs, whereas Pseudovates has visible lobes (like dead leaf mantis), and Vates sp will have even larger lobes and very visible (like ghost mantis). Believed they all belong to Vatinae group.
Ahh, thanks Yen! Clears that one up.

Well great find there Jim.

Latest posts