Care of blue bottle pupae?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
Am trying to hatch out adult flies from pupae for a ghost mantis. So far they just turn black and die before becoming flies. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The mantis has become too large for jphydei. 

@cwebster Nothing to really do besides put them in a container at room temperature and wait 2-3 days typically. If that is what you have been doing they are likely too old, pupae are only good about 3 weeks in the fridge (and if you had them less time it could be bad batch).

See Peter's page for basic details, but nothing more to add.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is strange, unless they are old as CosbyArt mentioned.  I've never had issues getting blue bottles to hatch, whereas I have with house flies.  I did have some blue bottles that took a full 4-5 days to hatch this winter once, but they did still hatch.

Do you have to feed them? Also, was told to keep the pupae at 30 degrres F. Seems tobe too cold. 
Yes that alone will kill them, you have found the problem, and were misinformed. All the pupae you have kept that cold are not going to eclosion (emerge as flies) - they are dead.

The pupae should be kept in the refrigerator, not the freezer, and temps of 34-40F are fine. Freezing temps of 32F or below will only kill them as the freezing will cause their fluids to freeze and burst them from the inside out.

You can feed them once they finish eclosion (emerge as flies), but if you use them as feeders within a few days is not necessary. Again see Peter's page as he discusses how to do that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
First blue bottle fly hatched out today. Sadly he is way too big for the ghost mantis though so i ordered some Phoenix worms.