Caring for lobster roaches

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried a few methods (including bugstop). The only drawback for vegetable oil is you have to reapply after 1-2 months compare to BUgstop which last a very long time. If the vegetable oil will drip into the cage it is not harmful to lobster roach even when the roaches consumed it. And you can wipe the vegetable oil off and reuse the container for something else whereas the bugstop paint is hard to get rid off, especially when your culture exploded and you decide to change a bigger container, you have to buy more bugstop to apply on the bigger cage too.

Rick, you can try to use only egg crates as "substrate" and see how it goes. I like clean cage so i clean it once a month. Cleaning the cage is never easy even without substrtate, so it is worse with coconut fiber or peat and most likely you will end up throwing some lobster roach nymphs away. But they reproduce quickly so there is never a problem losing a few if your wife/GF/mother can tolerate it :wink: All the best to your lobster roach culture.

Leah, do you keep the coconut fiber dry in the roach container?
Nope, slightly moist, we spray them down every night, they really enjoy a good misting.

Teflon paint comes off with soap, water and a scrub brush...

Thanks for the help everyone but I have just been informed I cannot keep them.

lmao, the wife?
How did you guess? I have tried to reason with her but with no luck. She thinks they carry disease and are nasty. :?

I have a father, who is into herps and insects, and he also has a wife, lol. Although, she dont know we both got roaches. Quite funny, he said to her, what were you to do if you found out me and Ian were keeping roaches. She said, id throw every dam one of them out, but I know you are not keeping them, as I havent seen any signs of them. At which point my dad was in the process of feeding about 40 to some of our chams :wink:

Cheers,

Ian

Latest posts