Catching wild house flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdsnuts

Reaction score
So it's summertime and my house is always getting filled with house flies from all the in and outs. I bought a butterfly net and can easily scoop them out of the air. Already fed one to my matis'. My question is what is the best way to get them out of the net and into the mantis enclosure? I use the cylindrical butterfly hatching enclosures with the zipper on top. They are all different sizes so the net isn't going to be able to fit into all of them.

Suggestions?

Flies will fly to the highest available point, so if you hold the end of the net and hang it by that, the fly will fly to the very end. Then you can either reach in and pick up the fly, or you can grab the end of the net, turn it partially inside out, and then stick the part of the net the fly is in into the enclosure and release it. I usually just grab the fly though. :)

Flies will fly to the highest available point, so if you hold the end of the net and hang it by that, the fly will fly to the very end. Then you can either reach in and pick up the fly, or you can grab the end of the net, turn it partially inside out, and then stick the part of the net the fly is in into the enclosure and release it. I usually just grab the fly though. :)
Thanks!!

We catch 100's of flies, for the mantis, from our manuer dumpster here at the zoo. We use a small bird net [24 inch handle, loop dia. 8-10 inches] wave it over the most infested areas of the dumpster and you have plenty. We then twist the net closed and put a binder clip on it, pop it in the refigerator for a bit [untill the flies go dormant] and then transfer to deli cups for feed out. The cups can be placed back into the refigerator as many times as necessary to get your enclosures fed out. Hope this helps.......

I use a net cage like that, too. It stays outside in its natural environment, so the mantis will hopefully grow at the same rate as the other wild nymphs.

I use a small plastic cage with gripping on all surfaces for feeding insects to the nymph. I cut a hole in the side of the cage. I take the butterfly net, bag, or whatever I'm using, an put my hand around the fly from the outside. Then I put the net against the cage and press the fly to the feeding hole. I stretch the netting around the hole to make a wall, so the fly can only go inside the feeding cage.

For you, if you are going to feed within the net cage, make the fly a small net bag around it, by gathering the netting and holding it below where the fly is. Push it to the other side, so your hand is now inside what used to be the outside of the net (You are flipping it inside out, but still holding onto the fly.). Then put the portion where the fly is inside the cage and hold the top of the cage closed. Once the fly is free, you can withdraw the part of the net and close the cage. Done! :) Hope this made sense, I can clarify more if needed.

We catch 100's of flies, for the mantis, from our manuer dumpster here at the zoo. We use a small bird net [24 inch handle, loop dia. 8-10 inches] wave it over the most infested areas of the dumpster and you have plenty. We then twist the net closed and put a binder clip on it, pop it in the refigerator for a bit [untill the flies go dormant] and then transfer to deli cups for feed out. The cups can be placed back into the refigerator as many times as necessary to get your enclosures fed out. Hope this helps.......
Are the mantids you care for yours, or the bug section of the zoo?

I just stick my hand in the net and get the fly out with my fingers...not that hard...but I've been doing it for years so some ppl wonder how I do it so easily...

Yes, like AndrewNisip said - if hands work very well, too, but sometimes the fly will crawl up your fingers, hand, or arm to freedom.

I have to wear rubber gloves when I handle flys . I found out the hard way I was allergic to them. It took me a while to realise it was from handling the flys. I get bad eye infections and rashes where I touch them. It is so weird I am not allergic to anything else.... So make sure you wash up after catching flys lol :)

I have to wear rubber gloves when I handle flys . I found out the hard way I was allergic to them. It took me a while to realise it was from handling the flys. I get bad eye infections and rashes where I touch them. It is so weird I am not allergic to anything else.... So make sure you wash up after catching flys lol :)
That's weird... I'm the same way with roaches. :huh:

Awh! Ouch! Yes, I always wash up after handling flies and enclosures... They land on some lovely stuff, I'm sure. And considering I catch them by my dog's kennel...they like dog-poop. So washing-up is a must. :)

I didn't know you could be allergic to flies. Interesting.
You can be allergic to many things. :) Flies, mantids, etc...

yen_saw, for example, is allergic to mantids. He wears gloves when he handles them now.

Latest posts