Cheap Lowe's Purple Pitcher Success

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashtoad

Reaction score
My Purple Pitcher from the Lowe's discount rack. Had it in a little conservatory and it did nothing. It had two leaves, and they look liked little 3" green butter knives with a tiny flat spoon at the end.

Almost threw it out, but as a last ditch effort I put it in higher light (strong filtered afternoon sun) and it exploded. I tranferred it to this 14" tall vase thing a couple weeks ago. I feed it pinheads monthly. The leaf in front right, with the orangish tip is now open, and is bigger than the fat one directly in back. This plant couldn't be easier to keep alive once you get it happy. I keep about an inch of water in the bottom of this vase at all times.

0162.jpg

Good job on it! It looks great... really healthy. I killed one similar to this one that I also got from Lowe's, the first week I had it. I'm working on killing the other two :rolleyes: , but haven't succeeded yet (though they do both look a little peaked).

Very nice!

My asian pitcher plant has lost it's shininess and has not produced pitchers for months!!! It still produces shiny new leaves at a normal rate, but the older ones are rolling into cylinders and look kinda dry, but not wilted. I used to keep it in regular dirt and it dried out alot, but I'd soak it everytime and it boomed! It literally eliminated my ant problem.

Now that I have moved, I transferred it to a larger pot with a mix of sphagnum and whitney farms soil. I noticed the symptoms with the leaves a couple of months ago, but the pitchers have been gone for months, longer than I would expect for dormancy...

I think I may have over fertilized it, any ideas? Pretty sure it is a Nepenthes sanguinea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts