Chilean Rose molting intervals?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidLord

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a quick question regarding molting with Rose haired Ts. Does anyone know the average interval between molts of adult females? Two years ago (I think) I received an adult female from my teacher. Last summer she molted for the first time in my care. And this year, she just molted today (Yay!). I'm not concerned or anything, just curious as to if this is the general time period that they molt (a year between molts). Unlike what I heard, she doesn't go through periods of fasting (except the past couple of weeks during pre molt). The past year she's eaten regularly and frequently, feasting on crickets, cicadas, and the dying age old mantids. So, is this fairly normal? I like to think the past year of gorging sort of sped up the period before molting. :rolleyes: :p

If she is molting on a yearly basis then she is still relatively young even though mature. As they get older, then time between molts can increase markedly. My 12+ year old female has not molted in 2 or 3 years now, perhaps longer. (I lost track.) It's normal particularly with these long lived species.

About 1 / year is about right.

Our presumed oldest specimen has been in our zoo for over 20 years now (no idea how old she was collected) and she still molts yearly.

About 1 / year is about right.

Our presumed oldest specimen has been in our zoo for over 20 years now (no idea how old she was collected) and she still molts yearly.
Hmm, how odd. Shall we just chalk up another one for Grammostola rosea "weirdness"?