Chinese Mantis Ootheca

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gongylus

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently I had the fortune of having my adult female Chinese mantis lay an ootheca.

Since then, about two weeks have passed with its temperature at ~75 F. 

At this time, when will it likely hatch? How soon will I need to separate the nymphs? Is there anything else I should know?

Congrats on the ooth! 

Chinese mantis ooths are usually put through a diapause. But if they are not put through a diapause they usually take around 3 months to hatch at incubating conditions.

It will probably hatch around 100 nymphs that will need to be separated by around L3 as they are a aggressive species. 

The chinese mantis is known to have a TON of casualties and mismolts. So be prepared. 

Good luck!

Nymphs will emerge within 6 weeks if not exposed to the cold; otherwise a 7-9 month diapause occurs over the cooler, winter months. First instar nymphs will begin taking water from droplets within the first day of their emergence.  Thereafter they begin feeding upon small prey items, including conspecifics. 

“Praying Mantises of the United States and Canada”

https://www.researchgate.net/project/Praying-Mantises-of-the-United-States-and-Canada