Chinese Molting Fail

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMFishBoy

Reaction score
My Chinese mantis started his molt sometime after I went to bed but before I woke up this morning. When I found him, he was curled up in a fetal position at the bottom of his enclosure, and I thought he was dead. However, I saw his exoskeleton still attached around his legs and head, so I figured his molt went poorly. He is still alive, and I *think* most of the old exoskeleton is gone, but he still isn't moving much, and is curled up. I know this is a very delicate time even when the molting goes smoothly, but he had a completely messed up one. So my question is what are the best humidity/temperature/light conditions for him right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear this. If its head and all of its legs are still in the exoskeleton it may end up suffering more than what its worth. If its legs are not developed, including its raptors, it will not be able to molt again or hunt. I don't want to sound crude, but in that case I think the best temp is below freezing. Again, I am sorry to hear this. I had a sever mismolt a while back so I understand. Mine didn't make it either and it had two of its legs and a front claw and It just stopped eating and died. Its back was jacked up too. Now if the mismolt looks bad enough I just put them out of there misery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a chinese hang for eight hours today,I misted him,and later took a tweezers,and pulled off the rest of his skin.One leg kinda points upward,and he's weak,but he can walk,and climb,see what happens

Latest posts