Chloramine in water.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been using a non-chemical method that allows the chlorine to out gas in approximately 24hrs. The question is how to remove Chloramine. Many public water systems are switching from chlorine to chloramine... which also contains chlorine and ammonia. Chlorine out gasses when water is boiled or allowed to sit in an open container, but the chloramine remains. I have a suspicion that it may be causing slow development of my fly cultures... I don't know if this chemical affects mantids in any way, but it is a strong disinfectant and toxic to aquatic animals, reptiles, and amphibians... no mention of effects on arthropods. 

Does anyone have a technique that removes chloramine? I'd prefer to use a non-chemical technique vs. adding more chemicals if possible. 

Suggestions? 

chloramine-t-500x500_zpsei3npbq9.gif

"In order to remove the chlorine, the chloramine must be deconstructed into its basic parts, chlorine and ammonia with each part being treated to remove them. Most tap water conditioners will break the chemical bond between the chlorine and ammonia and then destroy the chlorine, leaving the ammonia in the water.Aug 7, 2018"

https://www.thesprucepets.com/remove-chloramines-from-tap-water-2924183

@hysteresis @Cole 78 Thanks! This is exactly the info I needed... Google wasn't very helpful this morning. I just read that if you use a dehumidifier, the water in the evaporation pan is distilled; seems to make sense. I'll certainly verify with multiple sources before giving that a try.

Thanks for the links! ☺️

@hysteresis @Cole 78 Thanks! This is exactly the info I needed... Google wasn't very helpful this morning. I just read that if you use a dehumidifier, the water in the evaporation pan is distilled; seems to make sense. I'll certainly verify with multiple sources before giving that a try.

Thanks for the links! ☺️
I don't think very many public water systems are switching to chloramine, it's primarily an attempt to reduce TTHMs but it has its own problems. There are only a few systems in my state that use it and other alternatives make more sense for most. Chloramine can also be removed with activated carbon filtration, it just needs greater contact time. I would be more wary of the water from a dehumidifier because of the aluminum coils than I would a little chloramine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy solution though you say you dont want to add more chemicals. There are many aquarium solutions to this exact problem. With fish, it is much more of a problem since plants and animals are living in the chlorine and chloramine.

I use Seachem Prime. It breaks down the chlorine and chloramine. It also does something to detoxify (not remove) ammonia and nitrite and nitrate. Easy to dose into a jug of water or spray bottle.

https://www.seachem.com/prime.php

Easier solution, look up your water source. Search "CITY Water Quality Report." You may not have chloramine in your water at all.

Here is one for Emerald Coast Utilities Authority, which mentions chlorine, but not chloramine: http://www.ecua.fl.gov/system/files/NEWS/CCR2016.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: