choeradodis rhombicollis changing color, why? (not disease, i don't think)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
first time keeping this species. i've compared pictures from when i first got these guys to now and they have changed quite a bit. the male is molting right now so i'm assuming its fine, but what causes this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230914-180608.png
    Screenshot_20230914-180608.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230914_2204274492 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230914_2204274492 (1).jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 0
no need to worry, the male is just getting ready for his final molt. his hood is shrinking a bit to its adult shape so you can see his old skin as the light brown color. the same thing happens to orchid males before their final molt where there leg lobes shrink before a molt, leaving a visible empty space in their old skin.

no need to worry, the male is just getting ready for his final molt. his hood is shrinking a bit to its adult shape so you can see his old skin as the light brown color. the same thing happens to orchid males before their final molt where there leg lobes shrink before a molt, leaving a visible empty space in their old skin.
Thank you so much for the info. I've noticed my female is starting to do the same thing. They're such fascinating little critters

Latest posts