Color change!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or background color, or latent radioactivity in the water or whether you feed your flies with honey or pollen. I have raised both species and found that many ghosts and most wallies don't change their nymphal color at all. Our threads are full of these imponderables, and they don't advance the hobby much, BUT you, Bestshot, can help us all by taking careful notes on yr own nymphs and telling us what happens. :)

I believe that we cannot influence the coloration of our mantids (genetic tampering notwithstanding). I'd be delighted if someone can point me towards a lengthy, valid scientific study that proves me wrong.

Or background color, or latent radioactivity in the water or whether you feed your flies with honey or pollen. I have raised both species and found that many ghosts and most wallies don't change their nymphal color at all. Our threads are full of these imponderables, and they don't advance the hobby much, BUT you, Bestshot, can help us all by taking careful notes on yr own nymphs and telling us what happens. :)
I believe that we cannot influence the coloration of our mantids (genetic tampering notwithstanding). I'd be delighted if someone can point me towards a lengthy, valid scientific study that proves me wrong.
Agreed

Nice read.

His losses were staggering with the color cups. And didn't yield any color changing results. Someone on this forum was trying something similar but their name escapes me.

Yeah, that's what I found interesting. I wonder if not getting enough unfiltered light affected their well-being. He said he did notice some color changes but then stopped updating as much (and no photos). So yeah.. I still rely on genetics over anything that hasn't been proven.

My ghost turned green only after her last molt

She had turtle grass in her cage too, humidity was moderate and temps were in the high 60 low 70

I do believe backgrounds play a part in mantis coloration, but I think genetics play a bigger part personally

I wish my mendica had turned more green. I kept a lot of green things in his cage, it has a green lid, even a green paper parasol and the occasional misting, but Tammy's are much more green than mine. Oh well.