constipated?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantidian

Reaction score
My female budwing hasn't laid a single ooth yet and seems to be constipated cos she poops very little. I got my male to mate her 2 times and after that I stuffed her with food. ever since she has pooped very little and her abdomen is hanging at 45 degrees. I suspect that the eggs are probably preventing the poop from being able to come out. her abdomen is really fat and at it's limit. what can I do to allow the poop to pass through??

Nothing you can do. Sometimes mantids get eggbound and ever lay eggs but instead die. If you know she is due let her out on a houseplant or a larger enclosure to give her more options for laying eggs. Sometimes it works.

I just had the same problem with a Pnigomantis medioconstricta that I used to keep on a plant.

The main advice I got was raising temperature. I put her into a semi ventilated box with some damp kitchen paper and a spotlight on top, so I guess I did three things at once: raising temperature, raising humidity and providing a different surface. She's been in there a couple of days now. Last night she started with two sorry excuses for an ootheca that left her almost as fat as she were. Third attempt today (watching as I type) seems to work better, but only after I turned the box so she hung vertically after she had started dripping foam onto her wings because she wasn't able to lift her abdomen high enough.

I really hope she'll get rid of the rest of her eggs now. She wasn't mated BTW.

So if you've been keeping your Budwing at room temperature so far, definitely try a spotlight, too. Up to 32°C is fine for that species.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I've been giving her water frequently and put her in a net cage. So far she's pooping more but still very little. Is Singapore's temperature good enough? if not I'll use a lamp.

Do you have a screen cage you can place her outside in?

Okay so I've been giving her water frequently and put her in a net cage. So far she's pooping more but still very little. Is Singapore's temperature good enough? if not I'll use a lamp.
Yep. Temp in the 80's(F) and humidity in the 80% range. That just leaves aurflow -- or something completely different! What are you feeding her, BTW?

Latest posts