Creo Picti nymph ignoring Hydei fruit flies...molt, or flies too big?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadow98684

Reaction score
Yeah when I first got him or her I'm not sure how long he or she has been a nymph, but she ate the Mel flies when I got her. She ate about 3. She's first instar I'm pretty sure. (has yet to molt). I got her some Hydei yesterday, and she seems to be ignoring them. She hasn't eaten in a couple days at least. Are Hydei flies too big for a Creo Picti nymph, or is he or she likely getting ready to shed skin? I would imagine they wouldn't be too big.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should definitely be able to eat Hydei. I am sure it is about to molt, they are not fussy eaters.

Yea wait at least a day before attempting to feed. From what I remember, the molts from now on shouldn't have any breaks in the eating.

Yep these little ones are good eaters so if they ignore the food or flick it at you that means they are getting ready to molt. Give them at least 24 hours after a shedding before dropping in food. It takes a while for them to fully recover. I often wait a good 48 hours with mine. They aren't going to starve missing a few days.

The only thing you need to do post-molt is give him a little bit of water after he's had sufficient time to harden his exoskeleton a bit--about a day. You can wait to feed him, but hydration is very important. Don't spray him directly post-molt, but wet the surface he's on or put a droplet of water near his head where he can reach it.

Latest posts