Cricket breeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melophile

Reaction score
I am looking into breeding crickets. I'm only looking to keep 100-250 at a time. The main problem I'm concerned with is their chirping. I live in Florida, and crickets are everywhere outside at night. I can hear them from every single room in my house. Now if I were to start breeding them inside my house, how do I deal with their chirping? I do not want to disturb my roommates. Are there GMO'd chirpless crickets like how there are GMO'd flightless fruit flies?

Crickets are chirpless until they molt to adults and ready to breed; however, it seems when a few get of age to chirp, many others do soon. I keep mine in another room so I don't feel like I'm out camping all the time with the chirping. ;)

CosbyArt... I think there are chirpless crickets.. I think I read it somewhere... but I could be wrong.. I have been before

But in regards to the chirping... you do get used to it.. It actually becomes soothing... at least it has for me... reminds me of camping...

I don't mind the chirping but if you need them silent I think you probably need to find a different feeder insect.

I have no problems with their chirps tbh. I feel like I'll get used to them. I've lived with crickets practically my whole life. Every night, they're chirping outside. It's just my roommates that I need to factor in as well. I'll get used to the cricket chirps, but I can't say the same for my roommates.

Latest posts