Cricket larvae?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
I am trying to raise crickets in a critterkeeper with potting soil. Today i noticed what appears to be a ton of small whitish lumpish pupae or larvae or maggotlings about 1/3 of an inch under the soil along the edges and in corners. Are these lumps cricket larvae or seeds or something from the soil?

Arkanis,

Crickets follow the same hemimetabolous life cycle that mantids do: egg, nymph, adult. If I recall correctly, cricket eggs are very small and look like grains of rice. They hatch from the eggs and look like very small crickets.

Scott

What Scott said. When they hatch you will know. They will be tiny but will look like crickets. You have something else in that dirt or it could be their eggs.

Just something to note if you think you have eggs in there you're going to want to remove that container and set it up somewhere else. Crickets eat there young.

I am trying to raise crickets in a critterkeeper with potting soil. Today i noticed what appears to be a ton of small whitish lumpish pupae or larvae or maggotlings about 1/3 of an inch under the soil along the edges and in corners. Are these lumps cricket larvae or seeds or something from the soil?
I tried this with some success in SanDiego in the nineties. I suggest that next time you try this, you use sterilized sand instead of potting soil. That way, you are more likely to avoid those "maggotlings"!

Good luck!

Just something to note if you think you have eggs in there you're going to want to remove that container and set it up somewhere else. Crickets eat there young.
Sure you don't mean malnourished crickets eat their young? I have all life stages of crickets living in my tank with no cannibalization problems. I think I'm about 6 gens in now.

Sounds like eggs -- unless they're moving.

Latest posts