Cricket Quencher

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FitzWallace

Reaction score
I've put Cricket Quencher (the jell-o-like stuff) in with my mantises for a water source. They use it & so do the fruit flies. My local pet shop, though, has quit carrying the plain kind, and only has the calcium enriched (which I assume is more for the benefit of reptiles that usually eat the crickets). Is the extra calcium bad for mantises?

the cricket quencher claims to help keep crickets from stupidly drowning in a water dish, but as for using it as a water source for mantids I would think you could just spray water mist on their enclosure walls ever now and then and they'll be fine. My mantids hardly ever drink because they get most water from the cricket blood I guess.

I use the humidity sponge and a small cup (http://www.mantisplace.com/feederinsects.html#Cricketroll ) for my crickets and flies. They get the water from the sponge and don't drown either.
Lawls I do the same thing except with cotton balls. just cut some bottoms of of plastic cups and use a few cotton balls to keep the crickets from drowning in the water. Best part you just toss the cotton balls out when they get dirty and replace them with fresh ones.I have everything from pinhead newborn crickets through adults in my tank, and no problems with drownings. I would be worried about using the quencher on mantises. Don't really thing I would want to put in the extra chemicals it contains.

I use a small gravel filled dish. They don't drown. You're wasting your money on that cricket quencher.

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's a common thread in my life that I tend to make things more difficult (and more expensive) than they need to be! I'll give some of your ideas a shot!