cricket separation

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAME

Tenodera sinensis (the one and only)
Reaction score
hello community,

after starting up a cricket program as a source for food during the cold season ive successfully raised hundreds of little crickets to the "small feeder" sized you can get at the pet stores. I was wondering today what would be the best way to go about separating the bigger ones out of the tank and into a new?

does anyone have any suggestions or some trick they use to do this?

ive got a setup consisting of multiple homes. incubator,"the growing tank", smalls, and a home for the large... When they get large anyway.

I have a couple cricket boxes that I breed. I usually just keep each generation in their own boxes and pick out whatever size I need for feeders. As long as there's enough food and space, I haven't notice any difficulty keeping different sizes together. I have tried in the past to organized them by breeders I want to keep, males I want as feeders, and smaller ones that are too young, and the only way I managed was to hand pick out each. After a while that just became too tedious so now they mostly just live together =P

yeah I've been picking them out like that, it gets old fast..

was thinking about using the straw trick people use for the wingless flies, but I don't know.... I may keep them as they are until I figure out another solution.

they're not eating each other as I keep them with plenty of food and space. But I figured it'll be more convenient to have them in separate bins so I can just get the size I need for that particular mantid.

Its probably best to raise different generations separately to begin with. Put your soil container inside the adult cricket enclosure. Allow a day or two for the females to lay their eggs. Then, move the soil container into a seperate bin, and allow the babies to hatch and mature in there. You may end up with three or even four bins for different stages of maturity.

Latest posts