Culture issues

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DefyTheNorms

Reaction score
New to mantids and fly cultures. I purchased a melanogaster fruit fly culture from an online source that was supposed to last a month. When I received it on Friday there were plenty of flies. Sat, I noticed the number had diminished, then by Sunday when I went to feed my mantis, I could only find one fly in the entire container. No maggots, so it doesn't look like it will even replenish. So I went to my local pet shop and got a vile of hydei, and the same thing. I've noticed that the numbers are dwindling but no signs of  reproduction. This leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong. I keep them on the table next to the mantid habitat, which gets a bit of low light from a nearby window, and low watt desk lamp. Temp. is always between 72 -75 degrees. Where should I store the fruit flies? Any ideas on what "m doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to keep the culture in a cabinet? Or maybe there’s mites in the culture? I’m honestly not sure but that’s the first thing on my mind.