Culturing Lacewings?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mime454

Reaction score
From my other threads you can probably see that I'm trying to culture food for my mantises. Lacewings show up at my light and I catch them for my mantids. If they're not eaten, a few days later there are little worms in the cage. There are a lot of them too!

I did some research on these guys, and their life cycle seems to last for under a month and they reproduce with great fecundity.

Hs anyone tried raising these guys? They seem like they could be great. They eat other insects, I can't think of *anything* that could be small enough for their larvae to eat. They hatch so tiny, they're difficult to see.

Here's some info about them: http://www.insectary.com/lw/lacewing.htm if anyone has any ideas to set up a culture, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, but I know they were an option of pest control I explored (I ended up going with ladybugs and preying mantis instead) and their eggs are readily available to gardeners, just Google lacewing eggs.

Not sure, but I know they were an option of pest control I explored (I ended up going with ladybugs and preying mantis instead) and their eggs are readily available to gardeners, just Google lacewing eggs.
trust me, I have no problem getting them to lay eggs. I feed them to my mantids and in a few weeks there hundreds of little worms in te cage. I just don't know hat is small enough to feed them.

Latest posts