Curly Winged House Flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KICritters

Reaction score
I know bb flies requires rotting meat to breed, are curly winged house flies the same or are they easier to breed in a home environment? 

I found a DIY guide on culturing the curly winged housefly. Even though they do not use rotting meat, they do use milk and really "moist cat food" (or a proprietary medium they will sell you mixed only).

The odor would likely be more than you would care to have inside your home. As sour warm milk has a odor all it's own, and so do any fly larvae/maggots themselves as they release foul odors too from processing any fly medium, creating heat and moisture that must be properly maintained by ventilating the humidity buildup (and odor) into the room itself.

Here is the excerpt from the guide...

In ending it should be noted that the Curly winged Fly is not the easiest animal to culture because of the several stages needed in the culture method and the need to maintain humidity within fairly narrow limits during parts of their development. They are particularly difficult to get started. With a starter culture the flies all tend to oviposit at the same time so that one ends up with a culture operating in cycles. The larvae also do better when they are present in large numbers. When there are only a few larvae the amount of medium and the humidity are difficult to control and the medium can go ‘sour'. However, perseverance usually pays off and anyone familiar with the culture of Drosophila should be able to master the method without too much difficulty.
Sounds too much like a smelly operation to be worthwhile to me inside a home. If you think you can find a location in your house to try it best of luck with your efforts.