damaged antenna

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykey14

Reaction score
My little budwings antenna appears to be bent, like its going to fall off. Its bent at the halfway mark. My other mantis was missing a bit of his till he molted. I was just curiuos if this could affect her hunting capabilities or her perception. Also, do any of you think losing a bit of an antenna could hurt a mantis?

Well my mantis has one antenna much shorter than the other (it was like that since I found her), and I haven`t noticed any difficulties while hunting or moving around. I don`t know why one of her antennas is shorter, maybe she had deadly encounter while she was in the wilderness :donatello: or she could have lost it while climbing or something :clover: . But since she can catch prey normally I don`t mind this, beside that it looks cool haha :p

Not at all. They do fine missing antennae and even limbs. It will grow back a little bit each time it molts.

If both antennae are missing then it is a problem.
I've got a male creo that had an antennae issue during their final molt. A patch of skin was stuck to one antennae and I was curious to see how he would handle it. I was a bit concerned when he apparently chewed off both antennae but is doing just fine regardless. It has only been a couple of weeks so maybe it's too early to say this but they seem to be able to manage, even with both antennae missing.

I've got a male creo that had an antennae issue during their final molt. A patch of skin was stuck to one antennae and I was curious to see how he would handle it. I was a bit concerned when he apparently chewed off both antennae but is doing just fine regardless. It has only been a couple of weeks so maybe it's too early to say this but they seem to be able to manage, even with both antennae missing.
lol

antennas do not grow back I think in molts like limbs do usually and I actually had one mantis die from losing both antennas whether they are really used for anything besides pointing at the females I am not too sure but do know it happened to one of mine!

None of my mantids have had antennae regenerate, although sometimes the tips appear to improve with molts, it doesn't seem to cause problems, but I imagine that it could be an issue for males trying to mate, cause they like to slap the female with them when they mount.

I have never bred a male with missing antennae, so I don't know if the females actually require the antennae slaps. But males must do that to females for a reason.

The antennae of insects are their nose. A male without both antennae won't be able to detect the pheromones of the female and wont have much interest on mating. Thanks to the praying-mantis vision and voracity they might survive well without the olfactory senses but maybe they won't be as cautious as before. They won't be able to know if the environment where they are is healthy or even if the food they catch is harmful. Some insects also have the taste sense in the antennae but i don't know if it is the case with the praying-mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same thing happened with one of my females during mating. The male was really nervous and kept batting at her head whenever she turned to look at something. After he dismounted I noticed one of her antennae was bent (at a right-angle) at the half-way point. And I was pretty sad about that because I 'knew' the damage would be permament.

The thing is, I checked on her less than a day later and saw a perfect pair of antennae. They were the same length (so she didn't chew the bent part off) and they were vibrating as lively as they always had.

Perhaps what I witnessed was an exception, or applicable only to some species. But don't lose hope! :)

Latest posts