Darkling Beetle?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to purposely let the meal worms grow into adult beetles, and feed them to my mantids. Nothing wrong with doing this. Most species can tear through the otter shell.

They aren't a regular part of my mantids' diets, but I do occasionally use the adult stage of the darkling beetle (Tenebrio molitor) as feeders. My female Texicorns and Rhomboderas seem to like them. It's easier for some smaller species to eat the beetles right after they molt to adults and before their wings darken and harden. I've never noticed a beetle harming a mantis. Sometimes the mantis ignore them.

Similar topic, I bought some superworms before I knew if my mantis could eat them (very stupid eh?), so I figured Id keep them alive and maybe breed them for when the mantids get bigger. Start a culture of sorts. I found this video. Was wondering if anyone here agrees with it or if theres something they'd do differently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iugjntxMZE

Last edited by a moderator:
I breed both supers and mealies...for the 'adult' worm stage (the biggest size they get) ....I use tackle box seperator containers....I don't kno what to call them but it is a plastic box used for fishing with all those square/rectangular divider pieces...i store them horizontally and it saves a lot more room, and easier to care for them when they pupate and such...those deli cups would be such a hassle to have...16 deli cups or one of those tacklebox setups? I prefer the latter...

Code:
v=7zdwigpqxo4
I breed both supers and mealies...for the 'adult' worm stage (the biggest size they get) ....I use tackle box seperator containers....I don't kno what to call them but it is a plastic box used for fishing with all those square/rectangular divider pieces...i store them horizontally and it saves a lot more room, and easier to care for them when they pupate and such...those deli cups would be such a hassle to have...16 deli cups or one of those tacklebox setups? I prefer the latter...
Using a Tackle box is a million times easier and more compact. Here is a video I made on breeding these feeder insects ages ago. My video quality has greatly improved since :p .

Just wanted to make sure the basic concept was the same. Separate them without food or water and force them to pupate. How long did you find it took to lay the first eggs? How soon after putting the beetles in a breeding bin cold I feed them to my mantids to know there will be at least as many superworms as there were beetles?

I was going to feed the beetles to my mantids... but if it takes 3 weeks for them to lay eggs then theres no feeder beetles for 3 weeks or so... Anyone have a suggestion how I could handle this? thinking maybe I need to have some in each stage of development at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts