Dead leaf mantis adult not eating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sperich

Reaction score
I have an adult female dead leaf mantis. Her finial molt was on 11-29. She only ate once since then and that was 2 weeks ago. We tried to get her to eat by holding a live cricket in front of her and she wanted nothing to do with it. She seems healthy. Drinks and moves around on the top. Her tank is at 75 degrees and I mist once or twice a day to keep humidity up and give her a chance to drink. Just wondering if this is normal? If not, what can I do about it?

pic2.jpeg

Pic1.jpeg

2 weeks is long whitout food.🤔

What you can try is:  put with tweezers the abdomen of a cricket under her mandibles. so she can taste the goo. Most mantits wll starting to eat then.  Try another feeder: flies or roaches.

Good luck.

The squished cricket goo did the trick!  Thanks!  She is eating right now!  I will get some other feeders right away.  

Edit: well, she only ate about half and is not interested in more.  Will try again tomorrow and have other feeders on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had this problem with our peacock mantis "Courage". Through trail and error we have found a few tricks that have helped him eat more frequently.

1. Bug guts like everyone mentioned. The hard thing for us is getting him to recognize it as food and not a threat. Once he goes into a defensive pose we have to wait a while before trying again. Then, he will often drop the meal mid-way causing us to restart. We have used mealwoms and superworms with success. Crickets were not successful.

2. Flying prey. He won't touch a dubia roach, and even finds the small ones threatening. House flies and blue bottles have had a better success rate, but he takes a long time to catch them. Flying prey is about the only thing that seems to trigger his prey drive.

3. Banana roaches. Not sure why, but he will eat adult banana roaches. Maybe the color makes some difference to him? This is a hard one still. We put him in a medium deli container trapped with one or two banana roaches. After an hour or two he will likely have caught one. This is hard because it requires you culture banana roaches, and it takes 3-4 to fill up an adult mantis. We like the banana roaches as a feeder/pet combination though. They have more care requirements than dubias, but are also much cooler to look at.

He takes the most time out of any of our mantises to care for. We try to feed him 2-3 times per week and it is a 45-60 minute ordeal every time. If he happens to start his meal out of his enclosure, he takes 2-3 hours to finish his prey, which is also a pain to monitor him and then put him back. Our other mantises take less time combined to care for.

My Dead Leaf barely eats since reaching adulthood, but he remains in great health. I've heard several people say the same about this species, so I don't believe it's uncommon. 

Thanks for all the tips. I fed her cricket and wax worm guts and she did eat some of it. I have flies and roaches coming in the mail today.  Hopefully she will willingly eat those.

The squished cricket goo did the trick!  Thanks!  She is eating right now!  I will get some other feeders right away.  

Edit: well, she only ate about half and is not interested in more.  Will try again tomorrow and have other feeders on the way. 
At least she ate a little bit and that is better than nothing.

Hopefully she will willingly eat those.
I hope it too.

Last edited by a moderator: