Deep cut on face?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcy Poole

Reaction score
I noticed this cut on my Orthodera novaezealandiae when i was taking a photo of her. Does anybody know what might have caused this? She has nothing dangerous in her container. The cut is near the left eye, but i'm sure that im over reacting with this. image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say what caused the cut - is she wild-caught? If so, it could just be a battle-scar or some injury from living out in the wilds. I've had a mantis develop a dark-ish scar (or scab, whatever you call it) over a cut, which is just a part of the natural healing process, I believe. To be on the safe side, just be sure to monitor your mantis closely, to make sure the black doesn't spread, and to see if she is eating and behaving normally.

Also, you can add honey or hydrogen peroxide on injuries. From my personal experience, I've had wounds heal both with and without treatment - I guess it did give me a peace of mind though.

Yes, please watch her, and if you can put something on it, I would. I had a similar situation. I think it was a battle wound. It got infected and she didn't make it. I don't know about the hydrogen peroxide, it if it works. . .Is she eating?

Yeah. Just don't let it get infected. I made that mistake, because I did not want to touch her eye. As long as she is eating she is probably ok. Mine stopped eating.

Latest posts