Different kind of flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mex_Ghost

Reaction score
I think house flies can´t mate BB or the green ones right??, I catch several flies and try to breed them, but I have several kind of Flies <_< .

saludos

Let's try that again, MG! The fruit flies that Hibiscusmile is probably thinking of, like "Turkish gliders" and "wingless" and "flightless mels are mutations of the same species. There is relatively little cross breeding among the genus Muscidae. Cockroaches that cross breed are always, so far as I know, in the same genus, the next group up from species. BBs and HFs are not in the same genus nor even in the same family, the group above (and larger than) Genus. Houseflies are Muscidae and Bluebottles, Calliphoridae. The next group up is Order, and both types of fly are in the order Diptera or two-winged flies, but no, they will certainly not cross breed.Here is a refresher on the old group classification. We now have Super Orders, Sections and the like, or even clades, but the following is still often used:

Kingdom

Phylum

Class

Order

Family

Genus

Species

And the most famous mnemonic, of course, is:

King Phillip Came Over For Great Sex

I'm sure that we must have done something as memorable as this before! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's try that again, MG! The fruit flies that Hibiscusmile is probably thinking of, like "Turkish gliders" and "wingless" and "flightless mels are mutations of the same species. There is relatively little cross breeding among the genus Muscidae. Cockroaches that cross breed are always, so far as I know, in the same genus, the next group up from species. BBs and HFs are not in the same genus nor even in the same family, the group above (and larger than) Genus. Houseflies are Muscidae and Bluebottles, Calliphoridae. The next group up is Order, and both types of fly are in the order Diptera or two-winged flies, but no, they will certainly not cross breed.Here is a refresher on the old group classification. We now have Super Orders, Sections and the like, or even clades, but the following is still often used:

Kingdom

Phylum

Class

Order

Family

Genus

Species

And the most famous mnemonic, of course, is:

King Phillip Came Over For Great Sex

I'm sure that we must have done something as memorable as this before! :D

Nice motto. :p

Ya, nothing disturbing about picturing Phil showing up at random people's houses and saying "Call me King Phillip".

Oh no! My weak point... I do love soup :lol:
Me too, though Yuma is not a great "gotta have some nice hot soup to warm me up" town! :D

I think that yours should taste better because it has beef in it, Rebecca, and I love beef!

And yes, I cook all my own food, It's cheaper; I know what's in it, and I can keep my weight within normal limits even though I love my Fry Daddy deep fryer! I used it to make sweet and sour pork, tonight. Yum!

Me too, though Yuma is not a great "gotta have some nice hot soup to warm me up" town! :D

I think that yours should taste better because it has beef in it, Rebecca, and I love beef!

And yes, I cook all my own food, It's cheaper; I know what's in it, and I can keep my weight within normal limits even though I love my Fry Daddy deep fryer! I used it to make sweet and sour pork, tonight. Yum!
Wow that sounds good.

Latest posts