Do Mantids kill slugs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pray

Reaction score
It seems Mantids are supposed to be the ultimate predator for a garden, but I'm wondering about slugs. Would they really pounce on these thick & slimy things as well? I don't remember those ever been specifically mentioned.

It probably depends on the movement of the slug. It has to grab the attention of the mantis and usually slugs are very slow and smooth-moving, giving it "stealth" from getting the attention of the mantis. I don't know if it would eat it or not, but I bet if it caught one it would give it a taste and either mow down or fling it away.
laugh.gif

They would!If mantis could catch slugs!But they are so fast...

I think they dont even notice it.Mantis need a "real" moving target to be interested.But you could try to handfeed your mantis with a slug(Sphrodromantis may take it)...

If Mantids are the ultimate predator,Slugs are the ultimate pet! :p

tried to feed a slug to lineola male, the slug moved so slow the mantis never seen it.Come to think of it I did'nt see move either

tried to feed a slug to lineola male, the slug moved so slow the mantis never seen it.Come to think of it I did'nt see move either
Oh gosh you tried to?I was half kidding :p but well done my friend.You are giving us an accurate answer!

Many years ago, I gave my mantid a slug. The mantid caught it and began to consume it. It wasn't able to eat it and the slug exuded lots of slime on the mantid's fore-legs. The mantid never got to remove all of the slime and so I never gave my mantids slugs ever since. I like my mantids clean like when they are freshly molted (not a single dust on them). :)

Hmm, I guess then I'll be making lots of SLUG-BAIT-REFIL trips to the stores for my slug-traps.

Well I bought one slug-trap, and it's caught quite a few near my tomatoes. Looks like I"ll be buying a few more because those guys are killing all my other vegetables this year :(

Latest posts