do mantids urinate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Reaction score
my giant indian mantis has twice sprayed some form of liquid from his bottom end

(sorry not sure of its name)

i figured this could be urine as its where he excretes from too,

but cant find any info on it so wondered if anyone knew?

could it be some kind of self defence maybe?

as it has been whilst he is handled

thanks in advance

joel

im not sure if they urinate but i know the spray your talking about is a form of defence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never encountered this as a defensive mechanism. In fact, it happens often when mantids are well-fed, regardless of people witnessing it or not. It is not quite clear what is is for, as insects usually excrete ureatic acid, which is solid and whitish and a part of the faeces. However, well-fed mantids often spit a drop of a yellowish liquid from their anus. As they don't need to excrete this way, we supposed it is to eliminate rather surplus water than nitrogen. That's why starved mantids or moderately fed ones never do it. It may be possible that overfed mantids try to extract the nutrients from the prey but have to get rid of surplus water and/or urea nitrogen. In the latter case it would be interesting to know if it's ureatic acid or urea. Ureatic acid is not soluble in water, urea is. However, the yellowish liquid seems to be more an emulsion than a solution, so probably it contains ureatic acid.

In any case, if you encounter this too often, better feed the mantids less.

Christian, thanks for the info, I have not noticed it, but I do feed mine almost everyday, is there something to look for which would tell me it is happening even when I don't Notice it?

I've also seen it once by my H.coronatus female, she fired it approximately 20 cm far away

hmmmve7.jpg

Well crickets and things will poop or somthing in your hand, so why not mantids? When ever i pick up a wild grasshoper/cricket it always lets out this brown liquid in my hand, lol!

Crickets and grasshoppers (and also mantids) regurgitate as a defense mechanism. The stuff we are talking about pops out the other hole... :lol:

Latest posts