Does the female ALWAYS bite off the males head?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shreddedbaggy

Reaction score
Because i don't want that to happen. help me? because I've asked people and they say she always does, and some say she doesn't always. I'm confuzed!! :blink:

Check out the Introductions forum ;)

This is one of the popular myths of the mantis world. The female does not always eat the male. The trick to mating them is to wait until the female and male are a few weeks old, and making sure the female is very well fed prior to mating. Some species of mantids are more likely to exhibit this behavior, but no species eats the male every single time they mate. About everything you read on this forum is likely to be correct. :)

Read Rick's thread on how to mate mantids properly. http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7112

Based on what? Is that scientific fact or just some number you threw out?
experience from th zoo.

and its based on hierodula and that kind of sp.

phyllocrania, gongy, etc is a much lower chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
experience from th zoo.and its based on hierodula and that kind of sp.

phyllocrania, gongy, etc is a much lower chance.
Not the case in my experience. I have only had it happen a few times out of hundreds of matings.

No matter what care is taken it happens now and then but it should be rare. Some species are more prone than others.

UnicornHeadlessMale.jpg

he wont be interested in mating so will basically be just another prey item wandering about the container, getting himself into trouble.

I like to leave the mating pair loose in a room. That way the male has plenty of room to get away. If in an enclosed space the chances are greater he will become food.

I fed my big chinese alot for a couple days. found a male and was still worried. she eyeballed the male then after awhile ate a moth. then 10 minutes later they mated. next morning I released the male. wish I could find him so I could try a second mating! lol!!!