Drosophila Dispenser

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serle

Reaction score
My greatest challenge is opening & closing the F.Fly culture lids smoothly . I found that dispensing smaller amounts  of D. Hydei's to individuals this works fine.

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

@Serle The problem you will have with that permanently attached is that it will soon become clogged with pupating flies, old pupae cases, and a bit of everything else. As the culture shown in the photo is old, nearly out of food, and ready to crash you will not notice problems until reusing it on a new culture.

Hopefully it is easy enough to remove the feeder tube and the 90 degree elbow too, that way you can simply cover the lid hole with a piece of sponge (and that will prevent the problems).

@Serle The problem you will have with that permanently attached is that it will soon become clogged with pupating flies, old pupae cases, and a bit of everything else. As the culture shown in the photo is old, nearly out of food, and ready to crash you will not notice problems until reusing it on a new culture.

Hopefully it is easy enough to remove the feeder tube and the 90 degree elbow too, that way you can simply cover the lid hole with a piece of sponge (and that will prevent the problems).
A few fallibilities certainly , as I wrote in the intro. my challenge is opening & reclosing lids I am sure there may be others in this community that may have difficulties (coordination ,mobility , arthritis ) and require adapting to these challenges. The marvelous thing about Mantid Herding is the new adaptation opportunities offered .Thnkz for your feedback ... S

A few fallibilities certainly , as I wrote in the intro. my challenge is opening & reclosing lids I am sure there may be others in this community that may have difficulties (coordination ,mobility , arthritis ) and require adapting to these challenges. The marvelous thing about Mantid Herding is the new adaptation opportunities offered .Thnkz for your feedback ... S
Ah, if you change the lid to feed from it then back again it would work great (I just assumed it was left on all the time). ;)

Glad your having fun with the DIY aspect, keep at it. I always enjoy seeing someone else's approach, and it will help others and lead to even more ideas. :D

The Engineering is part of the Mantid fun package also accurate communication is important.  I do appreciate your wealth of gained knowledge & experience.... S