dry heaving?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Has anyone had a mantis dry heave before? My adult female looks like she is trying to throw up but can't. I fed her water and she did throw that up, but now she is still dry heaving. Maybe something is stuck? Does anyone know what to do?

Thank you

Personally I haven't had a mantis throwing up... Thankfully. However I was able to help coach a friend through recovering his Texas unicorn. Best advice I could offer is keep it hydrated with H20, try feeding it honey... Small amounts at first and see if it holds that down, gradually progress... I had him add honey to its next meal, then eventually without the honey all together. I'm not positive it WILL help or work.... However it did seem the godsend that saved that individual mantis. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
NOW not to jack the thread. My question is: how do you get the mantis to drink water. I keep the habitat moist but never see them drinking until yesterday. I removed the mantis, sticks, twigs and sponge to clean the habitat. I placed the mantis near the sponge and caught her like sucking moisture out of it. The other mantis would not and she is looking sort on the bad side. She is 7 months old and recaptured both females from a release in June.

I use a baby spoon. I buy cheap plastic ones at my local grocery store. I will try to get a picture later. Any small spoon will do.

try wetting a toothpick or twig? :|

if you have indoor plants.... Water it and put your mantis on it to roam and drink when ready?

Thanks for all your help. I tried giving her water and a little honey but that did not work. She didn't make it. It seemed like there was something stuck. So sad. I started raising them last February and I just can't seem to get it right.

Sorry for your loss... Sometimes even with the best results.. we lose them... Being wild, captive, wild ... might have had something to do with it... but I am sure, they knew you were trying to help.

Hmmm. Really? Have you heard anything about being wild, captive, wild. . .?

I couldn't hatch them indoors, so I took so outdoor nymphs. I did so bad, that I do not want to raise them from nymphs again. But the outdoor adults that I saved from the cold are doing great! I just can't go through the heartbreak of loosing so many little ones again, so I'm just going save the adults from now on.

Thank you

as for me, hatching them indoors went just fine. releasing went even better. Recapturing was good but the long winter on the one's in captivity not going so good. They do not have a long life to start with. And we have long winters.