eastern tent caterpillar (Malacosoma americanum)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
I've just harvested about 20 Eastern Tent caterpillars as potential food for my adult mantids.

I'm very much aware many caterpillar species can be toxic. Has anyone fed these furry critters to a mantis?

Many thanks !

Malacosoma_americanum.jpg

Never thought of feeding them, but my brother has one in a cocoon right now. Maybe the moths are edible by mantids?

this is off topic, but do you have pictures of Ponder as an adult?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never thought of feeding them, but my brother has one in a cocoon right now. Maybe the moths are edible by mantids?

this is off topic, but do you have pictures of Ponder as an adult?
No photos yet. I'll try to make some time tomorrow.

Had a chat with Orin and decided to risk a feeding experiment with Twitch (Tenodera sinesis). Twitch dug into the caterpillar, and upon doing so, the caterpillars guts gushed like an explosion.

My note to Orin:

I have a fairly strong composition for gore, however, this meal takes the cake (as it were).

Fed the tent caterpillar (they are quite beautiful) to my adult Tenodera sinensis male, Twitch. He dug into the side of the caterpillar and a cascade of caterpillar guts came bursting out - as if they were under pressure ! Twitch has avoided consuming what appears to be the gut; a long, dark green cylindrical organ. The whole mess has the scent of freshly-mowed grass (although the caterpillar doesn't eat grass).

So we shall see how the T. sinensis fares with this fare. If he remains happy, this is another ample feeder supply (although a limited time period)

_MG_0093.JPG

_MG_0094.JPG

Delicious!

So, I'm assuming nothing untoward happened to Twitch? We've got a pretty heavy infestation over here on the west side too, and I can't help but see the nests (which I do everyday) as an all-you-can-eat free mantis buffet! I never thought about them being toxic, but I was concerned that maybe some could have had pesticide applied to them if homeowners are trying to curb the infestation?

I suppose I could collect some, leave them in a cup and see if they died in a day or so on their own from potential latent pesticides... But I'm strongly attached to my adult boy so it might not be worth it...

Latest posts