Eating Molts

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Entomo-logic

Reaction score
My Gongylus gongylodes Nymphs are eating the heads off of their old molts. I feed them Houseflies and waxmoth adults everyday and they eat their fill but I still find every molt without a head and I see the younger nymphs eating the molts soon after they harden after molting. I guess a lot of Insects do eat their molts because it is a good source of protein and other nutrients after a tough molt, but I am curious as to if anyone else has seen this behavior in any of their mantids?

I havent seen it, but that means nothing. I remember hearing that children will eat the sulfur part of a match to get what their missing, so it woould not be surprising, and most birthing mothers,( and really I am not talking about the weirdo tom cruise), eat the afterbirth for nourishment after giving birth.

I havent seen it, but that means nothing. I remember hearing that children will eat the sulfur part of a match to get what their missing, so it woould not be surprising, and most birthing mothers,( and really I am not talking about the weirdo tom cruise), eat the afterbirth for nourishment after giving birth.
I hope you were reffering to non human mothers. :lol: I have seen my cats eat the afterbirth, it seems to serve 2 purposes. 1) so predators don't smell the nest and raid the babies, and 2) being a nutritional boost for mom to help with making good milk. I guess it wouldn't hurt if some starving human mothers did it to give themselves, and their kids the best start.

Never seen that in any species.
I have seen a cat once do it, but she ate her kitten too (probably some stress disorder, there were a lot of other cats around). Some species do it to keep predators from tracking them.

My mantids never bother about their molts, but crickets would eat them (what would they not eat). well, maybe the plastic plants in the enclosures, but even those they at least tried to nibble at.

Any mantis psychologist would tell you, Entomologic, that your cast-skin eating nymphs suffer from Pica (cf), a well known human disorder in which those afflicted eat objects that have no food value, such as dirt and pecils, etc, etc.

The composition of chitin, an acetyl glucosamine has been described at painful length by some of us on this forum in the past. What is important here is that though this polypeptide is regularly broken down by the enzyme chitinase in order to allow the old skin to be loosened before being discarded, it appears to be indigestible. I have said in the past, wrongly, I now think, that there is evidence that the same enzyme or a close relative, breaks down chitin in the mantid's gut. In fact, I can only find an actual reference to this in regard to an ant (c.f. R.F. Chapman, The Insects, 4th ed., p.35) that can break down the chitin in fungi.

The problem with using such an enzyme in the mantid's gut is that the food bolus is wrapped in a net of chitin (peritrophic matrix/membrane) that protects the gut wall from physical injury and which would presumably be destroyed by chitinaase.

I have often puzzled over the fact that such a large proportion of the prey animals passes unchanged through the mantis and appears mixed in the tiny pellets of uric acid that the mantis excretes. But the massive elytra of a beetle, say, are not composed just of chitin but by salts like calcium carbonate that strengthen the polypeptide matrix and are, perhaps, leached out of the chitin before it is excreted. Certainly, all (well, most) jokes aside, this is a very interesting phenomenon.

@Deby: That sure is a strong reaction to onions! :p

My tree crab eats most of her molts. They are quite thick and hard, but I read somewhere that it is good for them. Also both of my Anolis equestris eat their sheddings, perhaps they just like it. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts