Egg sac!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantidinator

Reaction score
Hi all, brand new member here. I live in Southern California, and I typically catch a mantid or two in early winter that is near frozen and bring it inside until the weather warms up a bit. This year, I caught one in mid-December on my porch, clearly bewildered and in distress. So I fed it crickets for a week or so, and then it stated acting weird, clawing at the terrarium to get out. It became really uncoordinated, unable to catch prey, and eventually it fell over on its back, wiggling its legs, and I'd help it up but it would fall over again. I really though it was about to give up the ghost. I woke up this morning expecting it to be dead, but instead I found this scene:

qrwtjl.jpg

So yeah, it was pregnant. Anyway, having done some reading, I think I should put the sack outside in a, well, sack, so it can overwinter in the cold? I sure don't want these hatching in my 75F house until it is warm enough to let the nymphs outside without freezing to death. Supposedly these SoCal native species must overwinter in cold to hatch? Really not looking to become a mommy to 100 nymphs in January. Advice?

It is always a bonus, when you do something nice ... and you get a present back ...Right??

I am not familiar with that mantis, still learning myself...

Someone will know... I am sure...

Congratulations...

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings and welcome to the forum
welcome2.gif

Glad to see you are nice enough to save mantises from the winter freeze when you can.
thumbs-up2.gif

It's a really dark photo but if I would guess it is a Stagmomantis species based from the ooth and mantis herself. Most likely a californica due to your location. Here is a caresheet for that particular mantis, Stagmomantis californica.

Indeed if you want to release the nymphs once they hatch, keep the ooth (ootheca) outside so can it diapause until spring.

Latest posts